At Tab we've built a payments platform for independent tourism businesses off the beaten track, capable of handling thousands of payments an hour across 100 currencies, in real-time, with near-zero downtime — backed by Python + Flask + Postgres.
We're also building a direct-booking platform and traveller-focused discovery platform in Svelte + Django, with over 100,000 tourism businesses listed so far.
We are now operating profitably and sustainably, after successfully weathering the travel slump during COVID. That means we’re ready to build up the team as we continue to grow revenue.
Some of the challenges which excite us:
- scaling our payments platform to handle 10x more payments per day whilst maintaining checks-and-balances: we're thinking about concurrent-systems, next-gen payment gateways, dynamic scaling, TDD
- iterating on our direct booking and discovery platform with an ambitious plan to support 200,000+ businesses and a millions of travellers: we're thinking about speed, security, edge-computing
- continuously improving how we work and dev, as the team and challenges grow
We move fast, so you'll start having a meaningful impact on the business in your first week as we execute our ambitious growth plan. You'll also be encouraged to contribute across all areas – we all help each other out.
We’re looking for a Lead Developer to join our growing team who:
- Has 4 to 8 years of full-stack experience building webapps with any OO language and modern tech-stack
- Has experience managing workflows, and enjoys mentoring junior team members
- Can contribute across the whole stack and is comfortable using multiple programming languages and frameworks, applying the right tool to the job at hand
- Can move fast, design with intent, build carefully and test thoroughly
- Loves to learn: new and old technologies, tried and tested methodologies — and most importantly, from their mistakes
- Is happy to take an active role on hiring, as we add 3-5 engineers to the team over the next year
What you can expect:
- Work as part of an office-centric, flat-structured, lean team — be one of the first few developers
- Take part in agile practices: sprints, standups and pair-programming are a core part of our workflow
- Take ownership of code across our new and existing projects to build and improve our services
- Choose your own gear (desktop/laptop + screen), and we’ll help with access to books, courses, and conferences with a £1k annual training budget
- Flexible hours (start early or late, as you prefer)
- Weekly team social lunch, and regular team events
- Very generous stock options in a YC-backed startup
- Competitive salary (based on your level of experience)
- Python, Flask, Django, FastAPI
- JS, Svelte, React, ReactNative
- Postgres, Redis
- Heroku, AWS
- Git, GitHub Actions CI, Sentry, LogDNA
Our typical interview process looks like this:
- Initial video call with our founder (30-45 mins) — get to know each other
- Video call with developers — general interview + live debugging exercise + code review (~90mins)
- Final round — on-site interviews with more team members in-person + case studies (~3hrs)